Download and print the music – Exercise 4
- This exercise focuses on left hand technique; in particular precision and strength.
- Play the exercise using thumb and finger in the right hand (keep that arm swinging) and all four fingers in the left (from bar 3 you need to use all four left hand fingers every bar)
- Be aware of your left hand mechanics, refer to The Left Hand if you need any reminding. Each finger should only lift a little when not in use and needs to press gently into the strings when in use. Stopping a lute string requires very little effort! If you have any tension in your left hand, re-evaluate your sitting position (shoulders and back in particular) and the way your left hand holds the neck of the lute.
- When you shift (and you need to shift a lot in this exercise) always gently move the whole hand in one go – making sure not to leave your thumb behind. Shifting requires no tension or effort in the hand.
- Be tension free – keep checking the rest of your body, even your legs.
- At the point your hands begin to feel tired, stop for a rest.
If you enjoy this free exercise why not support me by buying a CD.